Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Is a Crime

If you are a victim of domestic violence, you can ask the county prosecuting attorney to file a criminal complaint. You also have the right to file a petition in magistrate court requesting an order of protection from domestic abuse - a Protection Order.

Cycle of Violence

Research shows that violence can be prevented or reduced when authorities intervene. Otherwise, the cycle of violence and abuse can continue, against you and your children, and may increase in frequency and intensity. If you are a victim of domestic violence, break the cycle - ask for help.

A protection order can:

  • Stop the person from hurting you and/or your children
  • Stop the person who has been hurting you from entering your home, school or where you work
  • Require the person who hurt you to get help with counseling
  • Require the abuser to leave the household
  • Keep the children in your care

If the person who hurt you is arrested, they may be issued a No Contact Order when released.